Every now and then a recipe grabs me and says; a) make me! and b) share me.
And this is one of those recipes.
Does this not just look like the perfect winter warming comfort food?
The cheese toastie has gone glam, and girls, I think you’re gonna love it!
This dish is called ‘Mozzarella en Carozza’ which literally translates as ‘Mozzarella in a carriage’ and it is on my list of things to try at the weekend.
Hardly healthy, but certainly delicious!
What you need:
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 ball mozzarella , sliced into 4
- 8 large basil leaves
- 2 tbsp flour , well seasoned
- 2 eggs , beaten with a splash of milk and seasoned
- Olive oil for frying
- Use a cutter (or large mug!) to cut circles from the bread.
- Divide the cheese between 4 of the circles, adding a basil leaf on either side of the cheese.
- Season, then put the rest of the bread circles on top, pressing the edges together.
- Put the flour on a plate.
- Dust the sandwiches in the flour to coat lightly, then dip them in the egg to completely coat.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan with 2 tbsp olive oil. Fry the sandwiches for about 3 minutes each side until crisp and golden.
- Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and enjoy every bite!