Summer is here and when is it not a good time to add some sparkle to your summer evening? I just love the fresh feel to these little pots of sparkling jelly and fresh fruit. So easy to make and so easy to impress. Text time you have a bbq or alfresco meal, finish it off with these, and you’ll have everyone smiling at twist on the infamous childhood jelly. Cool, refreshing and a little bit unusual, all topped off with the added benefit of being full of some pink champagne bubbles! Simply no reason to say no!
- 300ml/10fl oz hot water
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 500ml/16fl oz pink sparkling wine or pink champagne
- 4 leaves of gelatine
- 150g/5oz raspberries, or any fruit you like
- Put the water and sugar into a small saucepan over a low to medium heat. Stir to dissolve the crystals, then raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, simmer for five minutes, then remove the pan.
- Pour the sparkling wine into a large heatproof bowl and add the gelatine. Set aside for about five minutes, or until the leaves are soft and squidgy.
- Take out the leaves, squeeze off as much liquid as possible, and add them to the sugar syrup.
- Whisk furiously until the gelatine has completely dissolved, then pour the syrup back into the bowl with the sparkling wine and whisk to combine.
- Allow to cool thoroughly, then refrigerate the jelly for about one hour.
- As soon as it starts to thicken, stir in the raspberries or other fruit.
- Divide the jelly between six glasses and cover them with cling film.
- Refrigerate for four to six hours, or until they have completely set and serve.